PG uses big second half to top Trinity

Stephanie King

It was homecoming at Trinity High School on Friday as the varsity Bulldogs hosted the Providence Grove Patriots. Trinity was still looking for their first win of the season as they entered the game 0-1 in conference play and 0-6 overall on the season. Providence Grove was coming off a loss at home to Randleman and were 0-2 in conference play and 4-3 overall on the season.

The first quarter of action was a battle of the defenses as neither team could get the ball into the end zone. Both teams made strong moves up the field but would turn the ball over on fourth down several times. Providence Grove ended the first quarter strong picking up a first down after back to back runs from Caleb Rogers. After one-quarter of play, this one was still tied 0-0.

Providence Grove struggled to move the ball at the start of the second quarter and eventually turned the ball over on fourth and fourteen. Trinity took over for their first offensive possession of the quarter but also struggled to get the ball up the field. The Bulldogs would punt the ball on fourth and seven. The Patriots started to see things click on their next drive as the picked up back to back first downs before runs from Rogers and Drew Needham put them within striking distance. Providence Grove nearly scored on the drive, but the receiver could not hang on to the ball as he was pulled to the ground by two defenders. Unfortunately for the Patriots, they would not get back into the end zone as the turned the ball over on fourth and eight.

Chandler Shell connected with Landon Carter for a nine-yard gain on the Bulldogs next drive but a huge tackle for a loss forced the Bulldogs to punt on fourth down. Providence Grove finally put all of the pieces together on their next drive as they moved the ball efficiently up the field. Luke Thomas found Jacob Marcrum for a 10-yard gain before picking up 29-yards himself on a quarterback keeper. Thomas connected with Marcrum again this time on a three-yard touchdown pass to put the Patriots on the board. Bryan Villagomez tacked on the extra point giving the Patriots a 7-0 lead. Carter fielded the ensuing kickoff for the Bulldogs, but they would not get another offensive possession as the second quarter came to a close. Providence Grove led 7-0 at the half.

Providence Grove received the ball to start the second half of play and quickly went to work pushing the ball up the field. Rogers picked up nine yards before Needham broke loose for a 20-yard first-down run. Thomas connected with Mason Collins on the next play for the Patriots’ second touchdown of the night. The extra point was good giving PG a 14-0 lead. The Patriots decided on an onside kick after the touchdown and were able to beat the Bulldogs to the ball to regain possession. Providence Gove capitalized on the kickoff recovery as they found the end zone for the third time. This time it was Rogers scoring on a five-yard run. After the extra point was added, the Patriots led 21-0. Caleb Green fired up the Trinity crowd with a 20-yard run on their next drive and he followed it up with a 30-yard touchdown run on second and eight to put the Bulldogs on the board. Garon Parris added the extra point to cut the lead to 21-7.

The Patriots responded to the Trinity touchdown by scoring another one of their own. After a first down pick up on a pass from Thomas to Marcrum and a five-yard run from Rogers, Providence Grove scored their fourth touchdown on a pass from Thomas to Marcrum. The extra point was good giving the Patriots a 28-7 advantage. Trinity got the ball back and would end the third quarter on third down and ten.

Trinity tried to get the ball up the field at the start of the fourth quarter, but PG’s defense had other plans as Cam Way picked off a pass for his first interception of the night. The Patriots continued to click on offense moving the ball up the field before Collins scored on a 28-yard run with just under nine minutes left in the game. Providence Grove took a 35-7 lead after the extra point was added. Trinity’s offensive woes continued as Way picked off the Bulldogs for the second time in the quarter.

Rogers picked up nine yards on a carry before Thomas found Travis Boone for a 29-yard first down. The Patriots capped off the drive with a six-yard touchdown run. Down 42-7, the Bulldogs went back to work on offense to try and make something happen. Unfortunately, the Patriots’ defense was just too much and the Bulldogs turned the ball over on fourth down. Providence Grove got the ball back late in the quarter and closed out their win with a seventh and final touchdown with 44 seconds left in the game. Zander Cheek scored on a one-yard run to give the Patriots a 49-7 lead. Trinity would run out the clock as the Patriots got the win 49-7.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.