Trinity edges ER

Stephanie King

A PAC-7 soccer battle ensued Monday evening as the Eastern Randolph Wildcats hosted the Trinity Bulldogs at Burton Cates Stadium. Eastern Randolph came into the match with Trinity sporting a 3-2 conference record and a 3-6-1 overall record. Trinity was 2-3 in league play and 8-6 overall on the season.

The first half got underway and the Trinity Bulldogs put themselves on the board early. Freshman Quinten O’Hara nailed a goal on a free kick to give the Bulldogs an early 1-0 lead. That would be the only goal of the first half for either team as the defenses took over. Both teams battled hard not allowing the other to get into an offensive rhythm. The Bulldogs had a couple of decent looks late in the half, but each one sailed just wide of the goal. Eastern Randolph struggled offensively against the Bulldog defense and had very few looks at the goal. At halftime, the Bulldogs continued to lead 1-0.

Eastern Randolph was not going to go down without a fight as they evened the score early in the second half. Steven Ramirez notched the first and only goal of the night for the Wildcats at the 36:10 mark of the second half on a free kick. The Wildcats continued to make things difficult for the Bulldogs offensively, but Trinity would find an opening at the 26:20 mark when Leland Hayes put one in the back of the net. With a 2-1 lead, the Bulldogs did not stop fighting for possession as the Wildcats continued to make moves toward the goal. Eastern Randolph took better care of the ball in the second half, which resulted in better looks at the goal. Unfortunately, the shots were either wide or stopped by the Trinity keeper. Trinity would get a little breathing room with about eleven minutes left when Randy Owens scored from about twenty-five yards out to put the Bulldogs up 3-1. Eastern Randolph tried to close the gap as the time ticked away, but they just could find the right angles at the goal. Trinity held on to win 3-1.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.